14.1713, Sum: IPA in Braille

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 17 13:07:04 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1713. Tue Jun 17 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1713, Sum: IPA in Braille

Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:44:44 +0000
From:  Adelaide Silva <adelaidehpsilva at uol.com.br>
Subject:  IPA in Braille

Date:  Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:44:44 +0000
From:  Adelaide Silva <adelaidehpsilva at uol.com.br>

Dear Linguist subscribers,

Some days ago I posted a query (Linguist 14.1632) on the existence of
IPA symbols in Braille, so that we could help our blind students at
Federal University of Paraná (Brasil) learning phonetic transcription.
Briefly summarizing the answers, I can say that most of them mention
the development of computer tools for phonetic transcription using the
characters of the keyboard, so that blind students and their teacher
establish a convention that makes the correspondence among phonetic
symbols and keyboard characters.  This is due, most probably, because
of the difficulty in making IPA Braille symbols available for
computers.  By the way, IPA Braille symbols can be found at
http://clauchau.free.fr/L/phonalph.html

Finally, I thank to all the people who wrote back, especially Eva
Monrós, Madalena Crus-Ferreira, Anthea Gupta, Kristina Kolley, Amanda
Murphy, Peter Daniels and Warren Maguire.

Adelaide H.P. Silva
Department of Linguistics
Federal University of Paraná
Brasil