14.1728, Jobs: Speech Technology: Translator, Sony Electronics

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 18 21:28:30 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1728. Wed Jun 18 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1728, Jobs: Speech Technology: Translator, Sony Electronics

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:06:01 +0000
From:  cstewart at remxit.com
Subject:  Speech Technology: Translator, RemX IT / Sony Electronics, Inc.

Date:  Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:06:01 +0000
From:  cstewart at remxit.com

University or Organization: RemX IT / Sony Electronics, Inc.
Department: Spoken Language Technology
Rank of Job: Translator
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics, General Linguistics,
                 Phonetics, American English
Required Language(s): English (Code = ENG)

At the Spoken Language Technology we have an opening for a speech
transcriber in English. The position is open immediately, and will
last for 8-12 months.

Candidates must be available to work at least 20 hours per week during
regular working day hours.

Job Duties:

  1) Creating and proofreading transcriptions of speech made from
     recordings of English.  This will mainly require word and
     phonetic level transcribing, including some prosody such as
     stress and tones. Work will be done by viewing speech waveforms
     and spectrograms on a computer, listening to the recordings, and
     typing the transcriptions into the computer.

  2) Entering phonetic transcriptions of words from a list into a
     phonetic dictionary.

  3) Assisting in recording sessions of English speakers.

  4) Assisting in processing and preparation of speech and text
     corpora.

Skills/Abilities:

  - Knowledge of IPA or other phonetic alphabet for phonetic
    transcription.
  - Capable of identifying phonetic segments and prosodic
    characteristics in English by listening to recordings.
  - Prefer native or near-native speaking & reading ability in English
    OR Chinese (Cantonese and/or Mandarin).
  - Attention to detail, both visual and aural.
  - Basic computer ability, such as word processing.
  - Completion or near completion of work for a Bachelor's degree in
    Linguistics or Chinese Languages, with emphasis in the phonetic
    systems of American English OR Chinese (Cantonese and/or
    Mandarin).
  - Experience examining the acoustic and phonetic properties of
    speech.
  - Any experience with Unix and Entropic's ''xwaves'' program is a
    plus, though not required.

Pay rate: DOE

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Chris Stewart
	3300 Zanker Rd.
	SJ1G2
	San Jose, CA 95134
	United States of America

	Position is open until filled.

Contact Information:
	Chris Stewart
	Email: cstewart at remxit.com
	Tel: 408-554-1534

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!