14.1742, Qs: Eng Subjects/Corpora; IE Phoneme Replacements

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 20 03:15:45 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1742. Thu Jun 19 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1742, Qs: Eng Subjects/Corpora; IE Phoneme Replacements

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:17:53 +0200
From:  J-C Khalifa <jck at ricky.univ-poitiers.fr>
Subject:  Q: non-canonical subjects in corpora

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:14:18 +0000
From:  Kim Dammers <kdammers at yahoo.com>
Subject:  chronology of IE sound changes

Date:  Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:17:53 +0200
From:  J-C Khalifa <jck at ricky.univ-poitiers.fr>

I'm starting a piece of work on non-canonical subjects in English
(i.e.  mainly finite & non-finite clauses, PPs and the like). I was
wondering whether anyone could direct me to published or unpublished
studies on the frequency of such subjects in corpora. I'm quite sure
there must have been some work on the relative frequency of subjects
by type (pronouns, NPs, complex NPs, and hopefully non-canonical
ones), but I must admit I'm quite lost in the spate of corpus
linguistics studies that have been published in the past few
years. Any tips on this? I'll post a summary if that proves useful.

All the very best,

		Jean-Charles Khalifa