14.1779, Qs: Jespersen's Theories; Phonesthemes/Ideophones

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 25 16:44:04 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1779. Wed Jun 25 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1779, Qs: Jespersen's Theories; Phonesthemes/Ideophones

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:18:09 +0000
From:  Jiska Troppenz <jiska.troppenz at gmx.de>
Subject:  Theorie of Jespersen about 'shifter'

2)
Date:  Wed, 25 Jun 2003 05:58:50 +0000
From:  Jeannette Littlemore <j.m.littlemore at bham.ac.uk>
Subject:  Phonesthemes and ideophones

Date:  Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:18:09 +0000
From:  Jiska Troppenz <jiska.troppenz at gmx.de>

Dear e-group,

I'm writing my final thesis in Ethnology about the first generation
born in Israel - the Sabra. On my research I found an interesting
theorie about why exactly the notion Sabra was used for the new
Israelis. The author Mrs. Doleve-Gandelmann used the theorie of
Jespersen about 'index', 'symbol' and 'shifter. ''Shifters combine
both functions and belong therefore to the class of indexical
symbols''. In her assumption she transforms 'shifter' into 'cultural
shifter'. In order to use this theorie in my thesis I need the exact
list of references which Doleve-Gandelmann does not specify. Who knows
in which book Jespersen discuss the theme about 'shifter'
resp. 'indexical symbols'? Where can I find more information about
this issue?

Thanks for any help, Yours, Jiska Troppenz