14.1796, Qs: VVCC Syllables; Multiple Noun Incorporation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 27 19:16:41 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1796. Fri Jun 27 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1796, Qs: VVCC Syllables; Multiple Noun Incorporation

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:48:38 +0000
From:  Andrew Horne <ahorneuk at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:  VVCC superheavy syllables

2)
Date:  Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:12:17 +0000
From:  Federico Damonte <federico.damonte at unipd.it>
Subject:  Multiple noun incorporation

Date:  Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:48:38 +0000
From:  Andrew Horne <ahorneuk at yahoo.co.uk>

I am looking for languages with morphologically simplex superheavy
syllables of the format VVCC e.g. English bold, find etc. This
structure appears to be extremely rare cross-linguistically and many
apparent cases turn out to involve either morphological boundaries (as
in dine-d) or alternating epenthetic forms i.e. (arguably) an
underlying VVCVC structure e,g. Somali maalim day, maalm-o days.

I would be grateful for information on any languages which have
(underlying) VVCC superheavies and for which, ideally, data is readily
available. I am particularly interested in any correspondence between
the occurrence of such forms and phonetically identical
morphologically complex forms e.g. English bold v. bowl-ed; find
v. fine-d etc.

Many thanks

Andrew Horne
SOAS