14.1803, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 27 20:18:28 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1803. Fri Jun 27 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1803, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

Date:  Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:54:43 -0400
From:  "Jess Tauber" <phonosemantics at earthlink.net>
Subject:  RE: 14.1793, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

2)
Date:  Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:19:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:  shahram115 <shahram115 at yahoo.com>

Date:  Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:54:43 -0400
From:  "Jess Tauber" <phonosemantics at earthlink.net>

I can easily endorse what Doug Whalen has to say about the role of the
linguist in helping to save dying languages- I may soon become the
last "speaker" of Yahgan, now that this Fuegian genetic isolate has
only a single elderly native speaker left alive (prior rumors of
extinction just being a reflection of poor fact checking on the parts
of some). So running as fast as I can to create comprehensive and
usable reference and teaching documents. And if I'm lucky I'll be able
to get down there this coming austral summer.

In the current climate of somewhat elevated interest in documenting
and revitalizing moribund languages in the linguistic community
(though much of it appears to be "Hands Across America" style
politically correct lip-service), the main problem (aside from chronic
shortages of funding, which is slowly changing as wealthy corporations
and donors step in) is lack of volunteers to help out. Perhaps the
recommendation of one well known linguist should be adopted- make work
with endangered or poorly described languages mandatory for the
degree.

Jess Tauber
phonosemantics at earthlink.net