14.1809, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jun 29 03:49:55 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1809. Sat Jun 28 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1809, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

Date:  Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:21:01 -0400
From:  "mnewman8 at nyc.rr.com" <mnewman8 at nyc.rr.com>
Subject:  RE: 14.1803, Disc: NYT Essay on Endangered Languages

Date:  Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:21:01 -0400
From:  "mnewman8 at nyc.rr.com" <mnewman8 at nyc.rr.com>

Considering the discussion of what linguists can do with regards to
language extinction, I'm wondering whether linguistics professional
associations have made or could usefully make resolutions in favor of
policies that support such languages. To give just one example,
France may soon be the only EU nation to refuse to sign a convention
in support of minority language rights since I've heard that the other
holdout, Greece, will sign on. France also contains a number of
highly endangered languages, which are victims of its singularly
effective policies of linguistic homogenization. At the same time,
it is, being France, particularly sensitive to its intellectual
reputation. This might be an area where lingusts can make some
difference.

Michael Newman
Queens College, CUNY Graduate Center