14.1811, Qs: L2 Role Play; Cross-cultural Politeness

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 30 02:19:21 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1811. Sun Jun 29 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1811, Qs: L2 Role Play; Cross-cultural Politeness

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  27 Jun 2003 19:07:39 -0000
From:   laura collins <lcollins at alcor.concordia.ca>
Subject:  role play tasks with second language

2)
Date:  Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:44:42 +1200
From:  "Fay Wouk (FOA DALSL)" <f.wouk at auckland.ac.nz>
Subject:  Query: Cross-cultural politeness references

Date:  27 Jun 2003 19:07:39 -0000
From:   laura collins <lcollins at alcor.concordia.ca>

The role-play task is sometimes used in testing situations to evaluate
the oral proficiency of second language learners.  Most of the studies
we have found on the scoring of role-play tasks refer to 2-role
situations where the roles are played by an interviewer/tester (i.e.,
a proficient or 'native' speaker) and an L2 learner. I would
appreciate hearing from Linguist List members who are aware of
analyses of language produced during the role-play task in situations
where both roles are played by the L2 learners.  We are interested in
the different ways performance on this task has been evaluated,
including analyses focused more narrowly on specific linguistic
components of learners' production (syntax, morphology, lexis), and
those which take into account task-features, pragmatic competence and
other aspects of conversational interaction. I will post a summary of
the responses.

Laura Collins, PhD
TESL Centre, Dept of Education
Concordia University, Montréal