14.603, All: A Year on LINGUIST List...

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 3 05:11:39 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-603. Mon Mar 3 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.603, All: A Year on LINGUIST List...

Editor for this issue: Richard John Harvey <richard at linguistlist.org>

Date:  2 Mar 2003 17:36:10 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  A Year on LINGUIST List - Please take a moment to read this...

2)
Date:  2 Mar 2003 19:35:57 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  What's Cooking at LINGUIST List...

3)
Date:  Sun, 02 Mar 2003 23:40:44 +0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org
Subject:  How to Donate to LINGUIST and List of Contributors So Far

Date:  2 Mar 2003 17:36:10 -0000
From:  linguist at linguistlist.org

Dear Linguists,

Welcome to The LINGUIST List Fund Drive 2003. Read on for the FUN
stuff!

Once again the time is upon us to bombard you with wonderfully worded
emails asking you to show your support to LINGUIST by making a
donation. "Has it really been a year?", we hear you shout. "Wasn't it
only yesterday that they were asking me for money?" It really is
amazing how time flies, but it has been a year since our last Fund
Drive when the generosity of the linguistics community helped us reach
nearly $50,000.

This year we hope to beat this, so we have set our target at
$50,000. We need your help!

- For the hundredes of you that did donate last year - Thank you once
again! We hope that the services we provide have been useful and have
improved, making you feel satisfied that the donation was
worthwhile. We now humbly request that you extend your generosity and
support us once again.

- For those of you that might not have supported LINGUIST yet, we hope
that within the next few weeks we can convince you that by making a
donation, you really are contributing to a worthy cause.

The LINGUIST List is free to subscribers, always has been, and
hopefully always will be! The 2000+ webpages that form the LINGUIST
List website, together with the gigantic amount of data that is stored
on our database server is all accessible for free! Where do you go if
you want to find a job or postgraduate position? Where do you find out
about all the latest linguistic publications? How can you disseminate
your PhD dissertation to the community? The answer to these and many
other questions is The LINGUIST List.

In the weeks to come we will send you emails from our student editors,
each one highlighting different aspects of the site and some of the
behind the scenes stuff as well. Each email will also ask you, very
nicely of course, to make a small donation to LINGUIST. The money we
raise each year goes directly to supporting these students (of which I
am one) through their Masters degree, and keeps LINGUIST operating and
improving its services.

And how will we thank you for your kindness? Every year we like to
give our donors a gift, and this year is no exception. The theme
for this fund drive is food and cooking, because we know how much
linguists love their food. For those of you that don't know, one of
the fun items on the site is the LINGUIST Cookbook (visit:
http://linguistlist.org/cookbook/index.html ). For many years we have
hoped to publish this as a book, and this year we are happy to
announce the first volumn entitled 'The LINGUIST List Cookbook'. We
also have a matching apron with the slogan 'The LINGUIST List
Cook'. We also have the highly fashionable LINGUIST List T-Shirt; worn
by linguists around the world, and the highly practical and
eye-catching Tote Bag--new last year and extremely popular. Take a
look at:

http://linguistlist.org/premiums.html

On top of all these lovely gifts we give away, we also want to
entertain you. So this year we will have 'FUNd Drive FUN Friday', when
we will send out some more lighthearted emails and direct you to some
fun things happening on the website. Those of you that were with us
last year may remember the story of Percival, the super talented cat
that was sold to a Russian circus to raise money for LINGUIST. We
managed to get Percy back, but now he has embarked on some new
adventures. Watch out for 'The Continuing Saga of Percival, the
LINGUIST List Cat'. Also being researched as we speak, the next issue
of 'MaLinga', packed with dubious gossip and doubtful reporting - keep
your eyes open for that.

Please help us reach our target of $50,000. Even a small donation
really does make a difference.

To donate now using our secure web form, visit:

http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

For instructions on how to donate, or how to make a pledge now and pay
later, see Message 3 in this issue or visit:

http://linguistlist.org/donation.html

Thank you for your support.