14.1253, Qs: Stop nasalization; PhD program

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 5 14:24:24 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1253. Mon May 5 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1253, Qs: Stop nasalization; PhD program

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 03 May 2003 22:14:38 +0000
From:  In Kyu Park <ipark at hawaii.edu>
Subject:  Stop nasalization

2)
Date:  Sun, 04 May 2003 23:48:34 +0000
From:  Geoff Nunberg <nunberg at csli.stanford.edu>
Subject:  First PhD Program in Linguistics

Date:  Sat, 03 May 2003 22:14:38 +0000
From:  In Kyu Park <ipark at hawaii.edu>

Dear linguists,

May I get some information about stop nasalization?

Korean has a phonological process of 'stop nasalization' which
nasalizes a stop before a nasal.  Latin also shows a similar process,
as in /agnus/ 'lamb', presumably [aNnus].  According to Dell (in a
1981 article in Linguistic Inquiry), stop nasalization also occurs in
French sloppy speech.  I am looking for more information about this
process in French, and for examples of stop nasalization in any other
languages.  Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

In Kyu Park