14.1345, Qs: Morphological Language Search; Drum Vocables

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 10 17:50:54 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1345. Sat May 10 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1345, Qs: Morphological Language Search; Drum Vocables

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 09 May 2003 17:01:31 +0000
From:  Brent Henderson <bhendrsn at uiuc.edu>
Subject:  Looking for a languages

2)
Date:  Fri, 09 May 2003 18:42:48 +0000
From:  Aniruddh  Patel <apatel at nsi.edu>
Subject:  drum vocable experiment

Date:  Fri, 09 May 2003 17:01:31 +0000
From:  Brent Henderson <bhendrsn at uiuc.edu>

Hi!  I am looking for a language with a particular morphological
structure and having a hard time finding one.  Maybe you can help.  I
need a language where tense markers are suffixes on the verb form AND
which has prefixes on the verb form that carry a prosodic weight of
more than two syllables.  The prefixes cannot include object agreement
or object clitics.  Prefixes might include things like negation,
subject agreement, relative markers, etc.  For example, the verb form
might look like Neg-SubjAgr-RelMarker-V-Tense where each of the
prefixes is one or more syllables.  Of course, that's just an example.
The fact that tense is a suffix and that the prefixes total three or
more syllables is what is crucial.  Thanks alot.