14.1356, FYI: Script Encoding Initiative, LSA Ballot

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 12 14:01:46 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1356. Mon May 12 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1356, FYI: Script Encoding Initiative, LSA Ballot

Date:  Wed, 07 May 2003 14:05:04 +0000
From:  Deborah Anderson <dwanders at socrates.berkeley.edu>
Subject:  FYI: Script Encoding Initiative: Assistance Needed

2)
Date:  Wed, 07 May 2003 21:51:37 +0100
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  LSA ballot

Date:  Wed, 07 May 2003 14:05:04 +0000
From:  Deborah Anderson <dwanders at socrates.berkeley.edu>

The webpages for the Script Encoding Initiative have just been updated
and can be viewed at: http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~dwanders/.  The
Script Encoding Initiative (SEI) is a project set up at the Dept. of
Linguistics at UC Berkeley to fund proposals for those scripts not in
Unicode. The scripts affected are minority and historical scripts. The
result of the project will be that it will be possible to access these
scripts electronically.  For a full list of the missing scripts,
please see:
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~dwanders/alpha-script-list.html .

Important note to linguists:

1. Feedback on several proposals in needed in advance of the upcoming
Unicode Technical Committee meetings, which will be held June 11-13,
2003. Comments from experts and the user communities for these scripts
are needed.

The outstanding proposals are for the following scripts: Glagolitic,
Old Persian cuneiform, Avestan and Pahlavi, Saurashtra, Manichaean,
and three Greek proposals for missing characters (Greek Numerical
Characters, New Testament Sigla, and Greek Editorial and Punctuation
Characters).  If you would like to see the proposals, please go to the
following page:
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~dwanders/ScriptsNeedInput.html

A list of guidelines for reviewing such proposals is available on the
bottom of the above page, or can be accessed directly at:
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~dwanders/ProposalQuestions.html.

2. Grass-roots support for minority script encoding is very important;
and if people are able to take the time to write letters of support
for minority script encoding, those are also helpful to us in our
quest for grants. Letters on behalf of historic scripts are likewise
sought. Please contact me if you would like to write such a letter.

3. On-line donations are now possible for this project, thanks to UC
Berkeley. Directions for making an online donation are found at:
http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~dwanders/donations.html#Online.

Donations are tax-deductible in the U.S. (Note: SEI will receive 98%
of all funds raised, 2% will be withheld by the UC Berkeley
Development Office, as is usual for such projects.) Even small
donations are a big help to us in our attempts to secure grants for
minority and historical script encoding.

If you have any questions or comments, please write to me directly.

With best regards,

Deborah Anderson
Researcher, Dept. of Linguistics
UC Berkeley