14.1401, Qs: Linguistics Videos; Evaluative Morphology

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri May 16 03:10:22 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1401. Thu May 15 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1401, Qs: Linguistics Videos; Evaluative Morphology

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 14 May 2003 21:38:37 +0000
From:  Fay Wouk <f.wouk at auckland.ac.nz>
Subject:  Insight Media videos for teaching

2)
Date:  Thu, 15 May 2003 08:26:01 +0000
From:  Nicola Grandi <nicola.grandi at unimib.it>
Subject:  Evaluative prefixes and suffixes

Date:  Wed, 14 May 2003 21:38:37 +0000
From:  Fay Wouk <f.wouk at auckland.ac.nz>

I want to get some vidoes to supplement teaching in an intorudctory
survey course that covers sociolinguistics, anthropological
linguistics and psycholinguistics. Insight Media has a number of
videos that might be useful, but they are expensive, and do not allow
returns on unstitutional purchases, only exchanges, so I'd like to
know a bit about what I might be getting.

If any of you are familiar with any of the following videos, and can
comment on their quality or on what they actually cover in the video,
I would greatly appreciate your comments. And if you by any chance are
familiar with more than one on the same topic, and can rank order them
in suitability, that would be extremely useful. (I've broken the list
into groups based on topics.)

Birth of Language

Intercultural Communication
Cross Cultural Communication
Negotiating Cultural Communication

Men, Women and Language
He Said, She Said: Gender, Language and Communication
Gender and Communication: She Talks, He Talks

Paralanguage and Proxemics
Nonverbal Comunication
Eye Contact and Kinesics

I will post a summary to the list in due time.

thanks,
Fay