14.1436, Disc: Anaphora makes the headlines

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 20 03:06:31 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1436. Mon May 19 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1436, Disc: Anaphora makes the headlines

Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 09:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel at exc.com>
Subject:  Re: Anaphora makes the headlines -- perhaps undeservedly

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 09:52:17 -0400
From:  Joseph F Foster <Joseph.Foster at UC.Edu>
Subject:  Re: 14.1421, Disc: New: Anaphora makes the headlines

3)
Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 10:15:29 -0400
From:  Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>

4)
Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 11:07:22 -0400
From:  Dan Maxwell <DMaxwell10 at compuserve.com>
Subject:  14.1421, Disc: New: Anaphora makes the headlines

Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 09:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:  "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel at exc.com>

Re Linguist 14.1421

>   Toni Morrison's genius enables her to create
>   novels that arise from and express the injustices
>   African Americans have endured.

I would argue that there are at least two things wrong with the
sentence, including using a PP in parallel with a direct object
("arise from ... the injustices" and "express the injustices"), and,
in terms of content, genuis is not what helps anyone create novels
that arise from injustices.  Either the novels arise from the
injustices or they do not.

But sentences of the sort NP1's NP2 V Pronoun1 ("Bill's friend helped
him," "Toni's genius enables her" etc.) are so clearly grammatical
that I have to wonder at an organization that will now be teaching
people not to write that way.  Let us also remember that most of a
decade was devoted to teasing apart "Bill's picture surprised him" and
"Bill's picture surprised himself."  In spite of the tens of thousands
of collective hours of scrutiny those sentences received, no one
seriously suggested that the former was ungrammatical.

-Joel Hoffman