14.1440, Qs: Hindi Aspect; Prenominal Adjectives

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 20 15:31:38 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1440. Tue May 20 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1440, Qs: Hindi Aspect; Prenominal Adjectives

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 06:07:57 +0000
From:  Srija Sinha <s.sinha at lancaster.ac.uk>
Subject:  Aspect in Hindi

2)
Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 13:54:26 +0000
From:  Dimitris Ntelitheos <dntelith at ucla.edu>
Subject:  Prenominal Adjectives with Complements

Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 06:07:57 +0000
From:  Srija Sinha <s.sinha at lancaster.ac.uk>

Dear All, I am looking for any recent work done on Hindi aspect, in
current frameworks/models, something which takes into account or uses
a model which can potentially take into account all levels of
aspectual interpretation in Hindi, and also how they interface. The
analyses that I have come across so far provide valuable insights into
Hindi aspect but they usually tend to focus on any one feature, or
level of aspectual interpretation, and posit broad categories in which
'types' of aspect are fitted in. However, my own initial study shows
that a lot of sentences in standard contemporary Hindi would resist
fitting in such traditional accounts. a range of factors appear to
contribute to aspectual interpretation in Hindi, and the
interpretation cannot be attributed solely to any one morpheme or set
of morphemes in the verbal complex. I have however read v.little so
far. I would be very grateful if I could get some pointers, concerning
any recent publications on Hindi aspect, which shed some light on what
I am trying to look for and what I have vaguely tried to describe
above!

My email: s.sinha at lancaster.ac.uk, saijeevan at hotmail.com
Thanks v. much, Srija.

Subject-Language: Hindi; Code: HND