14.1453, Disc: Anaphora Makes the Headlines

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 20 19:47:08 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1453. Tue May 20 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1453, Disc: Anaphora Makes the Headlines

Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 03:58:10 +0000
From:  "Joseph T. Farquharson" <jtfarquharson at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:  Anaphora Makes the Headlines

2)
Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 09:28:43 +0000
From:  Mike Maxwell <maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu>

3)
Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 14:34:57 +0100
From:  Simon Smith <smithsgj at eee.bham.ac.uk>

4)
Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 15:31:32 -0400
From:  MICHAEL A COVINGTON <mc at uga.edu>
Subject:  Disc: Summing up: Anaphora makes the headlines

Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 03:58:10 +0000
From:  "Joseph T. Farquharson" <jtfarquharson at yahoo.co.uk>

Why can't a possessive nominal serve as an antecedent for a pronoun? I
thought its status as a nominal would over-ride the genitive property,
since the genitive property is an INFLECTION for case and word class
doesn't change even though it has acquired modificational/adjectival
properties.

It is true that the pronoun that follows the V does not have to bear
any close relationship to the possessive noun. But this is a matter of
co-referentiality. So in English, the pronoun may (Ex. 1) or may not
be (Ex. 2 & 3)co-referential with the the preceding possessive noun:

1. The professor's book enables him (the professor)....  2. The
professor's book enables him (somebody else)...  3. The professor's
book enables them .....

4. *The lady's['] book enables him [']....
5.  The lady's['] book enables her [']...

In English, it is a requirement that the pronoun shares the same
properties (gender, number) as the NOUN in the higher cluse with which
it is co-referenced{symbol used here[']} (Ex. 4. & 5.) If there is no
co-referential relationship then there are no such restrictions on the
pronoun.

The student's argument that an adjective cannot act as an antecedent
for a pronoun appears to be correct for English, but I maintain that
in the sentence under question 'Toni Morrison's' was still acting as a
noun (with adjectival properties. If not the sentence would have been
ungrammatical for many more speakers.

The matter of Toni Morrison CREATING something that ARISES (i.e. that
is already in existence) is another issue. On the level of semantics
there is something wrong with the sentence but syntactically it seems
fine to me.

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG