14.1461, Qs: Data Collection; Machine Translation Texts

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 21 19:52:28 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-1461. Wed May 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.1461, Qs: Data Collection; Machine Translation Texts

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 08:25:07 +0000
From:  Hale Isik <halei at fedu.metu.edu.tr>
Subject:  Data Collection Assistance

2)
Date:  Wed, 21 May 2003 13:33:07 +0100 (BST)
From:  D Elliott <debe at comp.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject:  Parallel texts for machine translation evaluation

Date:  Tue, 20 May 2003 08:25:07 +0000
From:  Hale Isik <halei at fedu.metu.edu.tr>

Dear Members,

I am a graduate student and also work as a research assistant at the
Dept of FLE, METU, Turkey. I am currently writing my M.A thesis which
aims at exploring, in the most general sense, the impact of
self-guiding principles and culture values on communication and how
these are operationalized in the language we use in situationally
defined contexts in Turkish and English.

To carry out a cross-cultural analysis (with Turkish data), I need to
use data compiled from native speakers of English who are university
students and citizens of the UK or USA.

I would be overwhelmingly grateful if you could direct such students
enrolled at your university/department/course to fill out my online
questionnaire which can be accessed via:

http://www.fedu.metu.edu.tr/hale/questionnaire_english.asp

Please accept my sincere thanks and gratitude for your anticipated
support in advance.

Hale Isik

Research Assistant
Department of Foreign Language Education
Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
E-mail: hisik at metu.edu.tr
        hale at tutor.fedu.metu.edu.tr

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG