14.3045, Qs: Uvular Consonant Effects; Loanword Adaptation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 8 15:33:31 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3045. Sat Nov 8 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3045, Qs: Uvular Consonant Effects; Loanword Adaptation

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:15:18 +0000
From:  Warren Maguire <w.n.maguire at ncl.ac.uk>
Subject:  Effect of uvular consonants on adjacent vowels

2)
Date:  Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:12:12 +0000
From:  Jennifer Smith <jlsmith at email.unc.edu>
Subject:  Loanword adaptation of syllable-final clusters

Date:  Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:15:18 +0000
From:  Warren Maguire <w.n.maguire at ncl.ac.uk>

Dear Linguistlist,

part of my PhD research concerns the possible effects of historical
uvular R (which may or may not have been labialised) on adjacent
vowels in Tyneside and Northumberland English.

In order to put this research in context, I am interested to know
whether uvular consonants (labialised or not) affect adjacent vowels
in other languages, and what kind of effect they might have.

Any examples (synchronic and diachronic) and references would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,

Warren Maguire
School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics
University of Newcastle Upon Tyne
http://www.students.ncl.ac.uk/w.n.maguire/