14.3148, Sum: Mixed Conditional Sentences

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 17 19:34:12 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3148. Mon Nov 17 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3148, Sum: Mixed Conditional Sentences

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:45:07 +0900
Subject:  summary: Mixed conditional sentences

Date:  Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:45:07 +0900

Dear linguists,

On November 11 I posted a question (Linguist 14.3084) about mixed
conditional sentences on Linguist List.  My question was:

I would like to know the acceptability of examples (8)--(11).

(8) If he weren't such a terrible bore, we'd certainly have visited
him more often while he was here.

(9) She was so high-keyed that if she smoked she would have been a
chain smoker.

(10) He would have gone right into your bedroom if I didn't stop him.

(11) If she were working for Bill, he would have protected her with a
reasonably plausible story.

I received ten emails.  I would like to thank the following people:
Kim Schulte, Mike Matloff, Lisa King, Bruce Deapain, Chris
Johns,Rudolph C.  Troike, Nick Sobin, Tamara Nicol, Toby Paff, Laura
Callahan The result of my survey is as follows:

         *          ?          OK          NO responses
(8)      0          0           9                  1
(9)      0          1           8                  1
(10)     1          5           3                  1
(11)     0          1           8                  1

>>From this result it is clear that (8) is highest and (10) is lowest
on the scale of acceptability.

I also received suggestions from Toby Paff about the differences in
social and class dialects.

Thank you very much.

Kenji Kashino
Professor of English Linguistics