14.3202, Qs: Instinctive Sound Words; Forensic Stylistics

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 22 03:20:22 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3202. Fri Nov 21 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3202, Qs: Instinctive Sound Words; Forensic Stylistics

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:43:37 +0530
From:  "A.S.sundar" <yasun52 at hotmail.com>
Subject:  The concept of "Poral "words

2)
Date:  Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:06:18 -0700
From:  "Dongdoo Choi" <ddluv71 at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Query

Date:  Wed, 19 Nov 2003 22:43:37 +0530
From:  "A.S.sundar" <yasun52 at hotmail.com>

  The first language of communication amongst 'homo sapiens', in all
probability, could have been something in the form of a sign
language, later supplemented by simple sounds. For the primitive Man,some
easy-to-utter 'sounds' and 'group of sounds' would have acted as unique
natural vehicles of communication. Early man who survived on hunting
animals for food, over a period of time should have developed an
expertise in imitating the animal sounds for hunting/trapping the
animals of food. As need for communication among humans increased, Man
should have used the already-familiar animal-like sounds for
communication,as a natural evolution. These sounds come out naturally
without any effort,as imitation of behavior in animal kingdom, including
humans, is quite instinctive. For example,to express repulsion, say on
smelling a stinking stuff, a sound 'chee' is quite natural. Flowing from
this 'chee' sound, primitive Man could have coined the word 'pee' for the
repulsive faeces. These type of words as a concept exists in Tamil and
are called 'Poral Vagai'. The following 'single sound' words are a few
examples of 'Poral Vagai'.(Vagai means 'type')

                 I-sound of exclamation,in surprise

                 Oh -sound of lamenting

                  Ayyoh-Sound of fear

                 Later additions-verbs and nouns.

                 Vaa-come

                  Po-go

                  Tha -give

                  Thee-Fire

                   Thoo-expression of Shame

For my research on origin of first spoken languages, I am interested in
knowing whether such 'Poral' words are available in other languages as
well. Kindly e-mail your comments  to yasun52 at hotmail.com.

I shall be posting a summary of responses received to Linguist List in
due course.

A.S.Sundar