14.3214, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher, Saarland U

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 24 06:13:25 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-3214. Mon Nov 24 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.3214, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher, Saarland U

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Tue, 18 Nov 2003 05:23:10 -0500 (EST)
From:  korbay at coli.uni-sb.de
Subject:  Computational Ling: Researcher, Saarland University

Date:  Tue, 18 Nov 2003 05:23:10 -0500 (EST)
From:  korbay at coli.uni-sb.de

University or Organization: Saarland University
Department: Department of Computational Linguistics
Rank of Job: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics, NLU/NLG,
		 Dialogue/Discourse modeling
Required Language(s): English (Code = ENG);
		      German, Standard (Code = GER)

The Department of Computational Linguistics, Saarland University,
Germany, is seeking one or two researchers for ''TALK'', a new
EU-funded project in the area of developing flexible and adaptive
multimodal dialogue systems in the information-state update paradigm.

An ideal candidate will have computational linguistics or computer
science background. Previous experience with natural language
understanding or generation, dialogue/discourse modelling, and/or
building interactive systems is welcome, though not necessary. Highly
valued personal qualities include creativity, open-mind and
team-spirit.

We invite applicants with a completed Ph.D. degree as well as
applicants with a completed M.Sc. (or equivalent) degree, who would
like to do their Ph.D. in relation to the project. In the former case,
a successful candidate will be expected to take an active role in
leading and shaping the project. In the latter case, the Ph.D. student
on our project could apply for association with the European
Post-Graduate College in ''Language Technology and Cognitive Systems''
which provides a dynamic interdisciplinary environment in cooperation
between Saarbruecken and Edinburgh (http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/egk/).

For more information about the TALK project see
http://www.talk-project.org/

The earliest starting date of the position(s) is January 2004. The
initial duration of the contract will be until December 2006.

The monthly salary will range between approx. 2000 and 3800 Euro
(subject to approx. 30-40% deduction for tax and health- and
social-insurance); the exact salary will depend on qualifications as
well as age and marrital status (we can provide more precise
information upon inquiry).

The Saarland University strives to increase involvement of women in
this research area, and therefore encourages women in particular to
apply. Persons with disabilities will be be given priority in case of
equal qualification.

For more information about the Department of Computational Linguistics
and Phonetics see http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/. The TALK project is
carried out in the group of Prof. Manfred Pinkal. In present and past
research activities we have been cooperating for example with DFKI
(http://www.dfki.de/), BMW (http://www.bmw.com/), Edinburgh University
(http://www.inf.ed.ac.uk), University of California at Berkeley
(http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/), and others.

For more information about the Saarland Univesity see
http://www.uni-saarland.de/

For more information about Saarbruecken see
http://www.saarbruecken.de/

For more information about Saarland see
http://www.saarland.de/

Please send electronic applications (preferably in PDF format) and
inquiries to jobs-cl2 at coli.uni-sb.de Hard copies can be sent to the
address below.

When applying, please send your CV, your research interest summary and
your statement of interest in the TALK project.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Dr. Ivana Kruijff-Korbayova
	Computerlinguistik,
	Universitaet des Saarlandes
	Postfach 15 11 50
	Saarbrücken, D-66041
	Germany

	Position is open until filled

Contact Information:
	Dr. Ivana Kruijff-Korbayova
	Email: jobs-c2l at coli.uni-sb.de
	Tel: +49 681 3024501
	Fax: +49 681 3024351
	Website: http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!