14.2682, Qs: English Phrasal Verbs; Online Audio Repository

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Oct 4 16:26:38 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2682. Sat Oct 4 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2682, Qs: English Phrasal Verbs; Online Audio Repository

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:44:47 +0000
From:  Mark Davies <mark_davies at byu.edu>
Subject:  "Basic English" and phrasal verbs

2)
Date:  Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:02:48 +0200
From:  Daniel Riaño <danielrr at eresmas.net>
Subject:  Audio Repository on the Web

Date:  Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:44:47 +0000
From:  Mark Davies <mark_davies at byu.edu>

I'm looking for information on C.K. Ogden's ''Basic English'' (and
similar approaches).  I've already looked at several books and
websites like http://ogden.basic-english.org/basiceng.html that
provide arguments for the adoption of such a scheme, and at this point
I'm looking for information from the opposite point of view.

I'm particularly interested in the problem of phrasal verbs.  As
Wikipedia (http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English) points out,
the problem is the following:

''In order to reduce word count, it uses large numbers of idiomatic
expressions which are non-obvious to non-native English speakers. For
example the term ''make good'' is used for ''succeed'' while the term
''make bad'' is not used for ''fail.'' English relies heavily on
idioms, of which there are about 4000 presently recognized by most
idiom dictionaries - requiring nearly 2000 words, more than twice the
vocabulary of Basic English, to define.''

At any rate, I'd be interested in any pointers that others might be
able to give, particularly on the issue of phrasal verbs.  Thanks in
advance.

Mark Davies

Corpus Linguistics
Brigham Young University