14.2710, Qs: English Clausal Subjects; Ling Faculty Policies

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 8 17:34:42 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2710. Wed Oct 8 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2710, Qs: English Clausal Subjects; Ling Faculty Policies

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:48:45 +0200
From:  J-C Khalifa <jck at ricky.univ-poitiers.fr>
Subject:  Q: THAT-clause subjects

2)
Date:  Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:57:56 -0500
From:  "Leo A. Connolly" <connolly at memphis.edu>
Subject:  Tenure and promotion in langage departments

Date:  Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:48:45 +0200
From:  J-C Khalifa <jck at ricky.univ-poitiers.fr>

I was just wondering whether there has been any work at all on the
acceptability of clausal subjects like, say :

THAT Arnold was elected

which are perfectly acceptable with adjectival predicates like :
_________was surprising
or verbal predicates like: ___________surprised everyone.

with bare copulas followed by another THAT-clause. In other words, are
there any contexts where THAT ARNOLD WAS ELECTED WAS THAT VOTERS WERE BLIND
might be acceptable? They are (are they?) with verbs like MEAN (That Arnold
was elected means that voters were blind) Does anyone know of any such
sentences in corpora, and/or any relevant work into that question?

I'll gladly post a summary if feedback proves interesting. Thanks in advance,

                 Jean-Charles Khalifa