14.2916, FYI: Summer School in Formal Linguistics in Brazil

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 24 14:21:42 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2916. Fri Oct 24 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2916, FYI: Summer School in Formal Linguistics in Brazil

Editor for this issue: Anne Clarke <anne at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:10:11 +0000
From:  Jessica Arroteia <marajessica at hotmail.com>
Subject:  First Summer School in Formal Linguistics of the South (Evelin)

Date:  Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:10:11 +0000
From:  Jessica Arroteia <marajessica at hotmail.com>

We are organizing the First Summer School in Formal Linguistics of the
South (Evelin), to take place from the 12th to the 18th of January of
2004 at the State University of Campinas, Brazil. The idea of the
school is to offer annually courses in the core areas of formal
linguistics (Syntax, Semantics, Morphology, Phonology) and related
experimental fields, taught by internationally recognized faculty, at
a cost that is accessible to the greatest number of South American
students. We aim to create a stimulating work environment where all
those interested in formal linguistics, regardless of their previous
background, can exchange their knowledge and experience in an informal
environment.

The first edition of the Summer School will be at the University of
Campinas, though our hope is that it can be carried out in other South
American universities in coming years. At this point 8 courses are
planned (introductory and advanced) in syntax, semantics, phonology,
morphology, and field methods, with other courses to be offered
depending on demand. The faculty invited to the summer school this
year are:

Rajesh Bhatt (UTexas): http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~bhatt/
David Embick (UPENN): http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~embick/home.html
Marcelo Ferreira (MIT): nao tem pagina
Norvin Richards (MIT): http://web.mit.edu/norvin/www/home.html
Cristina Schmitt (MSU): www.msu.edu/~linglang/linguistics/schmitt.htm
Cheryl Zoll (MIT): http://web.mit.edu/linguistics/www/zoll.home.html

More information on the summer school can be found at the web address at
the end of this message.

At the end of the Summer School, on the 17th and 18th of January of 2004, a
workshop for the presentation of talks on any area of formal linguistics
will take place. For abstract submission, please see the Summer School web
page.

EVELIN 2004 web page: http://mit.edu/kaitire/www/evelin2004

Evelin Organizing Committee
Andres Pablo Salanova