14.2924, Qs: Causative Morphemes; Germanic Ling Text

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 26 16:32:29 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2924. Sun Oct 26 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2924, Qs: Causative Morphemes; Germanic Ling Text

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:51:50 +0000
From:  Federico Damonte <federico.damonte at unipd.it>
Subject:  Double causatives affixes

2)
Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:00:27 +0000
From:  Eric Russell Webb <eric.russellwebb at wmich.edu>
Subject:  Germanic Ling text

Date:  Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:51:50 +0000
From:  Federico Damonte <federico.damonte at unipd.it>

Dear list,

although descriptive grammars and the typological literature report
several languages that have two different causative morphemes (some
Khoisan languages, for instance), i was not able to pin down the
following points:

1) in those languages that have two causative suffixes, is there any
clear semantic or syntactic difference between the two suffixes? for
instance, do the two suffixes attach to different verbal roots?

2) can the two affixes cooccur, and in case, in which order? and what
is the overall meaning of the verb, then?

3) is there any language with more than two different causative
affixes?

as i am by no means an expert on causatives, any information or
references to the relevant literature would be greatly appreciated. In
case of a sizable number of answers, i will post a summary to the
list.

thanks in anticipation,

federico damonte