14.2356, FYI: Arabic Phone Communication Study

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 6 21:53:20 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2356. Sat Sep 6 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2356, FYI: Arabic Phone Communication Study

Editor for this issue: Renee Galvis <renee at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:46:25 +0000
From:  Bushra  Zawaydeh <bushra_zawaydeh at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Arabic Phone Communication Study

Date:  Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:46:25 +0000
From:  Bushra  Zawaydeh <bushra_zawaydeh at yahoo.com>

	Dear All,

        The Linguistic Data Consortium at the University of
        Pennsylvania is conducting a linguistic study on
        Arabic telephone speech to study how native speakers
        of Arabic communicate with each other on the phone.
        Hence, we are searching for native speakers of Arabic
        who are from Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, or Palestine.

        If you are interested in participating in the project,
        please e-mail me back, and give me the information
        that is listed at the end of this e-mail. Basically
        you will be talking on the phone with another person
        that you may not know. You will speak for 10 minutes
        about a general topic that will be assigned to you
        when the call is made. The
        call will be made anytime between 8:00 and 11:00 PM
        Middle East time, or 1:00 - 3:00 PM US Eastern Time.
        After talking for 10 minutes, you will receive $10 by
        mail. You can participate in up to 3 calls. Hence you
        can make $30.

        In real life, our conversations with strangers have
        specific goals: to get or give information, to
        accomplish a task or to build a relationship. In this
        study, we assign topics to encourage the same kind of
        goal-oriented talk. The topics also give variety to
        the conversations and keep them going in a meaningful
        way. The topics will be general topics such as travel,
        marriage and divorce, etc. Please speak on the
        suggested topic, giving your opinions and the benefit
        of your personal experience and please also ask about
        the other person's experience and opinions.

        If you or anybody you know is interested in
        participating in this project please e-mail me the
        following information:

        Name:
        Gender:
        Age:
        Country where born:
        Country where raised:
        City where raised:
        Native Language:
        Other Languages spoken fluently:
        Years of education:
        Occupation/Specialization:
        email address (if available):
        postal address:
        phone number:
        phone type (cellular, cordless, standard, satellite,
        internet):

        The dialects that we are targeting in this project are
        the Jordanian, Lebanese, Syrian, and Palestinian
        Arabic dialects. Please feel free to forward this
        message to all your friends or relatives who might be
        interested in this project, and who are native
        speakers of one of these 4 Arabic dialects. If you
        have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact
        me.

        Bushra Zawaydeh, Ph.D.
        bushra_zawaydeh at yahoo.com
        Linguistic Data Consortium
        University of Pennsylvania

Subject-Language: Arabic, Standard; Code: ABV