14.2390, Sum: Emerging Pronunciation of 'presentation'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 10 01:53:52 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2390. Tue Sep 9 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2390, Sum: Emerging Pronunciation of 'presentation'

Date:  Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:42:39 +0000
From:  Rob Hagiwara <robh at cc.umanitoba.ca>
Subject:  emerging pronunciation of 'presentation'

Date:  Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:42:39 +0000
From:  Rob Hagiwara <robh at cc.umanitoba.ca>

Back in April, I posted the following question to Linguist List
(Linguist 14.1117):

> Does anyone have any data on the variable use or extent of the
> pronunciations of 'presentation' with [i] (high front tense)
> vs. [E] (mid front lax) in the first syllable?  When did this
> start to become common?  Is it limited to particular
> areas/social groups?  Is there a difference between the two
> forms (for people who have both)?

I'd like to thank Tim Beasley, Bernard Comrie, Alice Faber, Clyde
Hankey, Mika Hoffman, Susan Banner Inouye, and at least one other
whose e-mail I must have deleted in the interim (to whom I also
apologize).  I also thank several Canadian colleagues who
survived my inquisitions.

My original question was prompted by an individual for whom I'm doing
some dialect consulting.  All I really wanted to tell her was whether
it was definitely pr[i]sentation in some locales or sitations and
pr[E]sentation in others, or if there was something more subtle going
on.  My personal experience was that pr[E]sentation was somehow normal
(although I do remember at least one friend with similar background to
mine who always said pr[i]senation when we were in college).  But Ive
been hearing pr[i]sentation on TV and so forth lately, so I assumed
this was a recent innovation.  Apparently it is not.

Bernard Comrie pointed out that Jones's English Pronouncing Dictionary
(1999) lists only the [E] pronunciation for England, and lists the [i]
pronunciation as a US variant. (He also relates this to question of
[E]/schwa/syllabic-n variants in the second syllable of presentation.)
This accords with his memories of the [E] pronunciation being the only
one available in England in the mid-70s, with [i] regarded as an
American innovation.  Although the English tend to regard any
innovation as an Americanism, similar memories from the northeast US
regard the [i] pronunciation as standard.  So it would appear that
pr[i]sentation is an innovation, but it isn't emerging.

Some people shared my intuition that there may be a distinction
between a pr[i]sentation, as an event of presenting something, as
opposed to pr[E]sentation as an abstraction (as in presentation skills
or skillful presentation).  There was a similar, though incongruous,
viewpoint expressed by someone who suggested that pr[i]sentation was
something you did to plates of food (as in an elegant pr[i]sentation),
although just about everyone I asked rejected pr[i]sentation is
everything in favor of the [E] variant.

More than one person (from the Eastern US) contributed the intuition
that pr[i]sentation is obviously derived from a verb to pr[i]sent,
with a tense [i] in the first syllable. I can only have a reduced
vowel in the pre-tonic syllable of to present, so the preference for
pr[E]sentation may be analogized (?) from the noun pr[E]sent, rather
derived from than an abstract to pr/i/sent.

As Bernard Comrie summarized so succinctly, some questions
remain:

a. What is the relation, both now and historically, between
   [E] and [i] variants in the US/North America?
b. What is the incidence, both now and historically, of
   unreduced [E] versus schwa/syllabic [n] in the second
   syllable in the US/North America?
c. To what extent, if at all, as the US pronunciation
   established itself in Britain?

Robert Hagiwara, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor

Linguistics Department