14.2453, Jobs: German: Programmer, Rhetorical Systems, UK

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 17 00:48:46 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2453. Tue Sep 16 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2453, Jobs: German: Programmer, Rhetorical Systems, UK

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:01:50 +0000
From:  art at rhetorical.com
Subject:  German & Text-to-speech Systems: Programmer, Rhetorical Systems, UK

Date:  Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:01:50 +0000
From:  art at rhetorical.com

University or Organization: Rhetorical Systems
Rank of Job: Programmer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics, Phonetics, Phonology,
		 Text/Corpus Linguistics, Text-to-speech Systems
Required Language(s): German, Standard (Code = GER)

German-language speech scientist wanted

Rhetorical Systems is seeking to strengthen the development team for
developing the German version of rVoice, our text-to-speech system. We
are looking for a native German-speaking person in the area of speech
processing. Initially the position is for six months, but the
intention is to turn this into a permanent position.

The minimum requirement is a solid background in acoustic phonetics
and the phonetics of German. Candidates with experience in unit
selection speech synthesis are strongly preferred, as are candidates
with knowledge of speech signal processing. Programming experience in
Python or C++ is a definite advantage. Our development environment is
Linux, and a background in one of the flavours of Unix is desirable.

Rhetorical Systems is a leading provider of text-to-speech (TTS)
solutions.  We are headquartered in Edinburgh, with offices in London,
Boston and Texas.  Our research and development team, based in
Edinburgh, is the largest and most experienced text-to-speech team in
the world. In addition we have close links with the University of
Edinburgh, which has distinguished departments for Linguistics,
Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence, and a long history of
speech research.

The deadline for applications (email preferred) is Friday 17 October
2003.

If you are interested, send covering letter and CV to:

Art Blokland                                 4 Crichton's Close
Manager, Languages                           Edinburgh EH8 8DT
Rhetorical Systems Ltd                       Scotland
T: ( +44 ) ( 0 ) 131 525 6811                www.rhetorical.com
F: ( +44 ) ( 0 ) 131 525 6888
E: art at rhetorical.com

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Dr Art Blokland
	Rhetorical Systems
	4 Crichton's Close
	Edinburgh, EH8 8DT
	United Kingdom

	Applications are due by 17-Oct-2003

Contact Information:
	Dr Art Blokland
	Email: art at rhetorical.com
	Tel: +44 131 525 6811
	Fax: +44 131 525 6888
	Website: http://www.rhetorical.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!