14.2459, FYI: New Grammar Site for School Teachers

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 17 13:21:06 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2459. Wed Sep 17 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2459, FYI: New Grammar Site for School Teachers

Date:  Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:59:03 +0100
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  grammar site for school teachers

Date:  Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:59:03 +0100
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>

Dear Linguist List,

You may like to know of a large web site which aims to explain basic
English grammar to school teachers. It's aimed at teachers of years 7
to 9 (Key Stage 3) in the UK, but it may be of interest to teachers in
other countries. The UK situation is that after many grammar-free
years, schools are now required to teach about grammar (as a tool to
better performance, not as an end in itself). The material on the site
includes some consideration of how the grammar points are relevant to
teaching (especially to the teaching of writing), and some rather
crude self-test material. I produced most of the material (two units
are by Larry Trask) with a great deal of help from colleagues in
linguistics and in schools.
The url is:  http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/tta/KS3.htm
I'd value feedback, as I can revise the material and at least small
mistakes are easily fixed.
	Dick Hudson

Richard (= Dick) Hudson

Phonetics and Linguistics, University College London,
Gower Street, London WC1E  6BT.
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/dick/home.htm