14.2567, Disc: Re: Genetic Clicks?

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 25 21:44:52 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2567. Thu Sep 25 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2567, Disc: Re: Genetic Clicks?

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:32:36 +0200
From:  Hartmut Traunmüller <hartmut at ling.su.se>
Subject:  Re: Genetic Clicks?

2)
Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:37:43 +0000
From:  "Mark Jones" <markjjones at hotmail.com>

Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:32:36 +0200
From:  Hartmut Traunmüller <hartmut at ling.su.se>

in hunting talk, I would like to express my own reflections on this
topic. The following is an excerpt of my conference contribution on
the topic:

According to the Modulation Theory (Traunmüller, 94), speech arises
when speakers modulate their voice with conventional linguistic
gestures. The voice as such is still used for conveying paralinguistic
information about the speaker and his state and attitude. This is
characteristic of all human speech. However, voiceless fricatives and
clicks do not convey such paralinguistic information. Out of context,
they do not even identify themselves as human sounds. Listeners who
are not familiar with click languages tend to perceive the clicks as
extraneous noise even within the context of a stream of speech.

The property of fricatives and clicks not to disclose themselves as human
sounds appears to be exploited in cooperative hunting. Knight et al. (02
report: "During stalking of prey, Ju'hoansi revert to a hushed
whisper-like communication. The speech is devoiced and consists almost
entirely of clicks". Clicks are short in duration but more intense than
other speech sounds. They are easily audible to the prey as well as to the
hunters, but if the prey does not recognize them as produced by a predator,

their use is likely to positively impact hunting success. Thus, it may be
that the phonemic use of clicks originated in the context of hunting.
Subsequently, the use of clicks may have spread to other groups of hunters
who noticed their advantage. This advantage is quite independent of a
possible relationship between the groups and its recognition does not
require a high frequency or intimate nature of contacts between the groups,
although this condition was certainly fulfilled when the Bantu who migrated
into southern Africa adopted clicks.

However, we are still left with the question of why the phonemic use
of clicks did not arise elsewhere. Olle Engstrand, who had previously
sought a connection between the origin of clicks and labial-velars,
which also are used predominantly in Africa (Engstrand 97), drew my
attention to the possibility that an anatomical feature might be
responsible: Four of the five speakers of !Xóõ, investigated by
Traill (85) had gently sloping palates without an alveolar
ridge. Traill quotes a study by van Reenen (64), according to which
this feature is widespread in the San population.  This feature
reduces the amount of distortion of the tongue that is required in
producing clicks, especially for laminal clicks. It predisposes
speakers for the production of such clicks and thereby increases the
likelihood for clicks to acquire a function in speech. In order to
evaluate this hypothesis, it would be informative to know whether
gently sloping palates without an alveolar ridge are common also among
the Hadza and to what extent this trait was present in prehistoric
African populations and elsewhere.

For references consult "Clicks and the idea of a human protolanguage"
http://www.ling.umu.se/fonetik2003/pdf/001.pdf
(In the previous posting, there was an error in this URL)

Hartmut Traunmüller