14.2574, Qs: Text Letter-Order Study; Bilingual Children

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 26 22:30:16 UTC 2003

LINGUIST List:  Vol-14-2574. Fri Sep 26 2003. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 14.2574, Qs: Text Letter-Order Study; Bilingual Children

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:14:30 +0200
From:  "Christina Sanchez" <Christina.Sanchez at web.de>
Subject:  Question about study

2)
Date:  Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:22:11 +0000
From:  Stefan Ploch <ploch at languages.wits.ac.za>
Subject:  Raising children bilingual or not bilingual?

Date:  Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:14:30 +0200
From:  "Christina Sanchez" <Christina.Sanchez at web.de>

Dear LINGUIST List subscribers,

several people have sent me different versions of a linguistic text
that seems to be very popular among non-linguists at the moment. It
states that research at an English university has revealed that it is
still possible to read a text when all letters (except the first and
last) of every word are in a different order. The text itself is
written in exactly this way and thereby proves its point. (Compare
one of the German versions below.) Do es anyone know the title of this
study and where it has been published?

Thank you very much in advance.

Yours, Christina Sanchez

Afugrnud enier Sduite an enier Elingshcen Unvirestiät ist es eagl, in
wlehcer Rienhnelfoge die Bcuhtsbaen in eniem Wrot sethen, das enizg
wcihitge dbaei ist, dsas der estre und lzete Bcuhtsbae am rcihgiten
Paltz snid. Der Rset knan ttolaer Blösdinn sien, und du knasnt es
torztedm onhe Porbelme lseen. Das ghet dseahlb, wiel wir nchit
Bcuhtsbae fr Bcuhtsbae enizlen lseen, snodren Wöretr als Gnaezs.
Nchit shlcceht oedr?