15.1075, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 1 06:27:13 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1075. Thu Apr 1 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1075, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:00:08 +0000
From:  "Mark Jones" <markjjones at hotmail.com>
Subject:  RE: 15.1043, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

2)
Date:  Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:01:36 -0500
From:  "Elizabeth J. Pyatt" <ejp10 at psu.edu>
Subject:  Re: 15.1027, Disc: Re: How China discovered America...?

Date:  Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:00:08 +0000
From:  "Mark Jones" <markjjones at hotmail.com>

Dear List members,

I'm no expert either, and I haven't read the book, but for what it's
worth i think it's important to distinguish between the claim that
China visited the west coast of the Americas and the claim that there
has been any lasting linguistic influence.

The former seems to me to be not unlikely given that less
technologically advanced societies like the Polynesians succeeded in
even more extraordinary feats of navigation and endurance. And let's
not forget the successive waves of Europeans who allegedly visited the
east coast of North America before any longer term settlement.

The possibility of linguistic influence on indigenous languages does
seem to be far less convincing on the basis of the evidence discussed
on the list and in terms of general principles applied to the data.

Mark J. Jones

Department of Linguistics
University of Cambridge