15.1110, FYI: ITRI PhD Programme, U of Brighton, UK

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 5 15:49:07 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-1110. Mon Apr 5 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.1110, FYI: ITRI PhD Programme, U of Brighton, UK

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Anne Clarke <anne at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:31:47 +0100
From:  Paul Piwek <paul.piwek at itri.brighton.ac.uk>
Subject:  ITRI PhD Programme in Computational Ling and Lang Engineering

Date:  Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:31:47 +0100
From:  Paul Piwek <paul.piwek at itri.brighton.ac.uk>

		Please distribute!!!

           2004/2005 places available on
                PhD programme in:

           Computational Linguistics and
               Language Engineering

          ITRI, University of Brighton, UK

The ITRI at the University of Brighton invites applications for places
on its postgraduate studies programme for the coming academic year
(start dates: October 2004 and January 2005).

We are looking for applicants who are interested in pursuing research
for their PhD in one of the following or a related area:

  - Modality Choice: diagrams versus natural language

  - Overgeneration-and-ranking in Natural Language Generation

  - Relating text layout in NLG and text prosody in speech production

  - Web directories, sublanguages and vocabulary structure

  - Lexical resources for the generation of medical texts

  - Constraint-based planning for generating interpolations in text

  - Generation for Embodied Conversational Agents

  - Knowledge Editing using a natural language interface

  - Text summarisation from data

  - NL Generation using structured statistical models based on
    Web-compiled domain-specific corpora

  - Inheritance-based statistical language modelling

For information on recent and current projects at ITRI see
http://www.itri.brighton.ac.uk/projectsindex.html

ITRI is a dedicated interdisciplinary research department within the
University of Brighton, and a recognised centre of excellence
internationally in the field of computational linguistics. PhD
students at ITRI enjoy close access to the international community,
through our ongoing projects and our weekly programme of
seminars. They also form part of a wider community of research
students in CL within Brighton, together with students from the NL
group at the University of Sussex. In addition to hosting visiting
professors and other researchers, ITRI also occassionally hosts
visiting PhD students; our most recent student visitors have been from
Harvard University (USA), the University of Campinas (Brazil), and the
University of Distance Education (Spain). ITRI's postgraduate research
student division is recognised by the UK's research council for social
sciences (ESRC) and for engineering and physical sciences (EPSRC). For