15.2290, Support: Computational Ling: PhD Studentship, U Brighton

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 11 18:42:20 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2290. Wed Aug 11 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2290, Support: Computational Ling: PhD Studentship, U Brighton

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Stephanie Stoll <stephani at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Paul Piwek <Paul.Piwek at itri.bton.ac.uk>
Subject:  Support: Computational Ling: PhD Studentship, U Brighton, UK

Date:  Tue, 10 Aug 2004 13:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Paul Piwek <Paul.Piwek at itri.bton.ac.uk>

University or Institution: ITRI, University of Brighton, UK
Rank of Job: Studentship available for PhD programme in:
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics and Language Engineering

ITRI at the University of Brighton invites applications for a three
year studentship for its postgraduate studies programme for the coming
academic year (start date: October 2004).

We are looking for applicants who are interested in pursuing research
for their PhD in one of the following or a related area:

 - Overgeneration-and-ranking in Natural Language
   Generation
 - Relating text layout in NLG and text prosody in
   speech production
 - Lexical resources for the generation of medical
   texts
 - Cqonstraint-based planning for generating
   interpolations in text
 - Generation for Embodied Conversational
   Agents
 - Knowledge Editing using a natural language
   interface
 - Text summarisation from data
 - NL Generation using structured statistical models
   based on Web-compiled domain-specific corpora
 - Inheritance-based statistical language modelling

For information on recent and current projects at ITRI see
http://www.itri.brighton.ac.uk/projectsindex.html

ITRI is a dedicated interdisciplinary research department within the
University of Brighton, and a recognised centre of excellence
internationally in the field of computational linguistics. PhD
students at ITRI enjoy close access to the international community,
through our ongoing projects and our weekly programme of
seminars. They also form part of a wider community of research
students in CL within Brighton, together with students from the NL
group at the University of Sussex. In addition to hosting visiting
professors and other researchers, ITRI also occassionally hosts
visiting PhD students; our most recent student visitors have been from
Harvard University (USA), the University of Campinas (Brazil), and the
University of Distance Education (Spain). ITRI's postgraduate research
student division is recognised by the UK's research council for social
sciences (ESRC) and for engineering and physical sciences (EPSRC). For