15.2320, Jobs: Discourse Representation: Researcher, U Jena

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 17 17:41:18 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2320. Tue Aug 17 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2320, Jobs: Discourse Representation: Researcher, U Jena

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:27:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manfred.consten at uni-jena.de
Subject:  Jobs: German, Standard & Semantics: Researcher, Universitaet Jena

Date:  Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:27:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:  manfred.consten at uni-jena.de

University or Organization: Universitaet Jena
Department: Institut fuer Germanistische Sprachwissenschaft
Rank of Job: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science, Semantics, Text/Corpus Ling,
                 Discourse Representation Theory
Required Language(s):German, Standard
                    (Code GER)

Research Assistant position (BAT IIa/2) in the DFG research group
KomplexTex -- On textual functions of complex anaphors for a
fix term of two years from 1.1.2005.

The job is part of a research project on complex-anaphors (granted by
the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft). Our project started in 2003 and
recently has been granted for further two years.  Complex-anaphors
(abstract object anaphora, ASHER 1993; labelling,FRANCIS 1994) are
nominal expressions that refer to propositional structured objects
that can be classified in abstractness hierarchies (such as
propositions, states, facts and events). At the same time, this very
act of reference establishes them as unified discourse entities and,
sometimes, also evaluates them. Therefore complex-anaphors are an
important means of establishing coherence in texts.

The project is partly based on DRT-approaches (discourse
representation theory); furthermore, we are going to solve some
problems of DRT by enriching the DRS (discourse representation
structure) with information about the ontological status of discourse
objects as well as conceptualy based resolving strategies. Thus, we
will integrate constraints based on an abstractness hierarchy into an
anaphora resolution model that combines DRT- and cognitive
aspects. For this reason, applicants should have strong research
interests in formal as well as cognitive semantics and
psycholinguistics.

Our work will also cover so-called indirect (antecedentless)
complex-anaphora and aims at a general model of anaphora resolution
integrating direct/indirect and nominal/complex anaphora. Another item
(that requires corpus based studies) is the distribution of German
demonstrative pronouns vs. personal pronouns as a means of direct/
indirect complex anaphora.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Prof. Dr. Monika Schwarz-Friesel
	FSU-Institut fuer Germanistische Sprachwissenschaft
	Jena, 07740
	Germany

	Applications are due by 15-Oct-2004

Contact Information: