15.2330, Qs: Evaluating the Cognitive Approach to Metaphor

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 18 19:27:41 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2330. Wed Aug 18 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2330, Qs: Evaluating the Cognitive Approach to Metaphor

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:28:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Imogen Osborn <ieo20 at cam.ac.uk>

2)
Date:  Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:45:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Nooshin Vaziri <noosh_vt at yahoo.com>
Subject:  Q. English for students of computer science

Date:  Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:28:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Imogen Osborn <ieo20 at cam.ac.uk>

I am a student currently preparing a dissertation on metaphor for one
of my final-year undergrad papers. I am particularly interested in the
cognitive approach. I understand one of Lakoff & Johnson's views to be
that our early physical experiences shape how we think about the world
and so lead to the development of the metaphors we think in. For
example, a child associates hugs from a parent with love, and this
leads to the physical sensation of warmth, so therefore the child
associates love with warmth, leading to metaphors such as 'a warm
personality'. Also my understanding is that Lakoff & Johnson say that
everyone has the early experiences necessary to form these thought
structures, hence why we use the same metaphors.

However, I have two questions. Firstly, would it not be possible to
find certain people whose early experiences were abnormal, for example
due to disability, maternal deprivation, being abandoned or isolated
to the extreme in childhood, and so on, such that they did not have
those necessary early experiences on the basis of which to form the
metaphors in which most people think?

Secondly, has any research been carried out into this area - do Lakoff
& Johnson say anything on whether these kinds of experiences do seem
to affect people's use of metaphor?

Has anyone looked in to these cases? (I can't think I'd be the first
person to think of that kind of thing but I haven't found any
literature about that - or maybe it's a silly idea.)

Imogen Osborn