15.2391, Qs: Cross-Ling Stress Patterns;Polish NLP Resources

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 26 13:30:31 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-2391. Thu Aug 26 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.2391, Qs: Cross-Ling Stress Patterns;Polish NLP Resources

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Gina Cardillo <ginacc at u.washington.edu>
Subject:  Cross-Ling. Trochaic-Iambic Stress Patterns

2)
Date:  Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:58:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Svetoslav Marinov <mars at isp.his.se>
Subject:  Searching for NLP resources for Polish

Date:  Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:31:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:  Gina Cardillo <ginacc at u.washington.edu>

I have consulted texts about metrical typology and theory, but I am
having trouble finding a source about the following question, and was
wondering if anyone had information about it:

Is there any language in which the balance of trochaic and iambic
stress patterns for words are 50-50? If so, is there a reference that
discusses it? For instance, I know French is predominantly iambic, and
English trochaic...

Our lab studies infant language acquisition, and the question is
relevant in terms of the influence of linguistic experience on speech
segmentation abilities.

Thank you very much!
Gina Cardillo
ginacc at u.washington.edu