15.3354, Qs: Source on Vowel Length; Sylheti Phonology

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 1 19:14:25 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3354. Wed Dec 01 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3354, Qs: Source on Vowel Length; Sylheti Phonology

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-Nov-2004
From: Martin Ball < mjball at louisiana.edu >
Subject: Source on vowel length

2)
Date: 30-Nov-2004
From: Muhammad Suleiman < alexander_son_uk at yahoo.com >
Subject: Sylheti Phonology

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:06:20
From: Martin Ball < mjball at louisiana.edu >

I have the following data on vowel length but cannot remember the source.
Does anyone know where this comes from?:
        Korean:  [il] 'day' - [i:l] 'work'
        Finnish: [tule:] 'comes' - [tu:le:] 'blows'
        Arabic: [qa:la] 'he said' - [qa:la:] 'they (masc. dual) said'
        Japanese: [kiro] 'wear (imperative)' - [kiro:] 'cut (tentative)'

Any help gratefully received

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics