15.3362, Qs: Parenthetical 'what'; Frequency of Syntactic Types

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 2 02:20:24 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3362. Wed Dec 01 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3362, Qs: Parenthetical 'what'; Frequency of Syntactic Types

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Nov-2004
From: Yordanka Kavalova < ucleyik at ucl.ac.uk >
Subject: Parenthetical 'what'

2)
Date: 01-Dec-2004
From: roy wilson < rwilson+ at pitt.edu >
Subject: Frequency of Syntactic Types

Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:17:59
From: Yordanka Kavalova < ucleyik at ucl.ac.uk >

Dear linguists,

I'm a PhD student and work on parentheticals in English. I'm currently
looking into parenthetical 'what' and was wondering if any of you is aware
of any previous publications/research carried out on that particular
parenthetical.

What I mean by parenthetical 'what' is illustrated in (1) and (2):

1. And I know it rhymes with The Terminator which was a big movie *what*
ten years ago. (from American Pie II)

2. These [the paintings] are huge, they are between *what* six and seven
feet long. (Fiona Bruce, BBC1, Crimewatch UK, 28 Oct 2004)

Thank you very much in advance for your cooperation. I will summarise and
post all relevant information on the LinguistList.

Kind regards,
Yordanka

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Syntax