15.3390, Diss: Cognitive Science: Demestre: ' Procesamiento...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 3 21:53:25 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3390. Fri Dec 03 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3390, Diss: Cognitive Science: Demestre: ' Procesamiento...'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Takako Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Dec-2004
From: Josep Demestre < josep.demestre at urv.net >
Subject: Procesamiento de frases e información léxica (Sentence Processing and Lexical Information)

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:50:16
From: Josep Demestre < josep.demestre at urv.net >

Institution: Rovira i Virgili University
Program: Cognitive Science and Language
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2003

Author: Josep Demestre

Dissertation Title: Procesamiento de frases e información léxica (Sentence
Processing and Lexical Information)

Dissertation URL:  http://www.tdx.cesca.es/TESIS_URV/AVAILABLE/TDX-0325104-124559

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Spanish (Language Code: SPN)

Dissertation Director(s):
José Eugenio García-Albea

Dissertation Abstract:

The main aim of this thesis was to examine the influence verb-specific
information has on sentence processing. We studied two particular sources
of information that are stored at a verb's lexical entry: (i) the control
properties of a verb that determine the assignment of an antecedent to the
null subject of an infinitival complement, and (ii) the information that
specifies that a verb subcategorizes for a tensed complement in a particular
verbal mood.

We tested the predictions of the garden-path model (Frazier, 1987) and the
predictions of constraint-based lexicalist models (MacDonald, et al., 1994;
Trueswell & Tanenhaus, 1994). The central question we wanted to address
is whether the sentence processor initially ignores verb-specific
information -as the garden-path model assumes- or whether such lexical
information has a rapid influence on the early stages of parsing -as
assumed by constraint-based lexicalist parsing models.

We run nine experiments -a cross modal naming experiment, two ERPs
experiments and six self-paced reading experiments- to examine the role
of control and mood information on the early stages of parsing. There are
two novel aspects in this thesis that we would like to highlight. On the one
hand, the relation between verb control information and on-line sentence
comprehension had received little attention in Spanish. Moreover, in the six
experiments designed to examine the influence of this type of information
on sentence processing we manipulated the agreement patterns between
the null subject of the infinitive and an adjective predicated of it. To date,
nobody had used such a manipulation to study the assignment of an
antecedent to the null subject of an infinitival complement. On the other
hand, the influence of mood information on sentence processing had not
been studied yet.

The results of the experiments show that the sentence processor accesses
and uses control- and mood information very rapidly. The experiments that
examined the influence of control information have shown that the
processor interprets the null subject of an infinitival complement very
rapidly. Moreover, we have shown that the processor, rather than initially
associating the null subject with the most recent filler -as predicted by the
garden-path model- rapidly uses control information to assign an
antecedent to this null subject -as predicted by constraint-based lexicalist
models. The ERP experiments, in addition to show the early influence of
control information on parsing, have provided further evidence about the
brain responses to syntactic anomalies in Spanish. We examined a type of
agreement, that between an NP and an adjective predicated of it, that had
not been previously studied. The waves elicited by agreement violations in
Spanish have been shown to be similar to those reported in previous work.
Furthermore, we have contributed to the demonstration of the feasibility of
doing ERP studies using continuous, natural speech as the stimulus
materials.

The experiments that examined the role of mood information on parsing
have shown that this particular type of lexical information is rapidly used by
the sentence processor. Moreover, we have shown that this type of
information is made available as soon as the system recognizes a verb in
the input string.

In the light of the results, we conclude that, in contrast to the predictions of
the garden-path model, the information stored at a verb's lexical entry
plays an important role at the early stages of parsing. The early use of such
verb-specific information is in accordance with the predictions of
constraint-based lexicalist parsing models.