15.3519, Jobs: Russian/Morpho-syntax:Linguistic Test Engineer, CT

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Dec 18 01:53:17 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List: Vol-15-3519. Fri Dec 17 2004. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 15.3519, Jobs: Russian/Morpho-syntax:Linguistic Test Engineer, CT

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date: 15-Dec-2004
From: Margaret Salome < v-marsal at microsoft.com >
Subject: Russian & Russian Morpho-syntax: Linguistic Test Engineer, The Butler-Hill Group, CT, USA

Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:48:06
From: Margaret Salome < v-marsal at microsoft.com >

University or Organization: The Butler-Hill Group
Job Rank: Linguistic Test Engineer
Specialty Areas: Syntax; Russian morpho-syntax
Required Language: Russian (RUS)

The Butler Hill Group, a small consulting company, seeks a Russian linguist
(native-level fluency) to perform a number of tasks related to a
Russian-language natural language processing system under development, including
consulting with linguists, syntacticians, lexicographers, and developers during
the development process, and then performing quality assurance (testing) of the
output. Sample tasks might include verifying the accuracy of parse trees,
setting lexical (semantic) features on dictionary entries, and testing the
output of an English-Russian machine translation system.

Candidates should be native or near-native speakers of Russian, with academic or
professional background in Russian linguistics, especially syntax, strong
computer skills in a Windows environment, excellent communication skills in
English, and a detail-oriented personality. The ideal candidate would be close
enough to our client in Redmond, WA, to work on-site one day per week, working
remotely the rest of the time; however, we will also consider someone off-site
who would work entirely remotely, though some travel may be  required.

This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate student or junior faculty
seeking extra income; we can accommodate many unusual scheduling and
telecommuting requirements. The ideal schedule would include some early morning
availability (Pacific Time).

US residents must have US work authorization (US citizen or permanent resident).
Unfortunately, the Butler Hill Group cannot sponsor employment visas. Must have
regular, secure access (e.g. not a public machine) to a machine running a recent
version of Windows, with good Internet connectivity.

This is part-time contract work, 10-20 hours/week. A professional hourly rate
will be paid, as 1099 self-employment income.

To apply, please send a cover letter and resume or CV, in English to the email
address below.  Hard copies of application materials will not be accepted; email
only. No phone calls, please.

Address for Applications:

Margaret Salome
v-marsal at microsoft.com

Application Deadline: 31-Dec-2004

Contact Information:

Dr. Margaret Salome
Email: v-marsal at microsoft.com
Website: http://www.butlerhill.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!