15.415, Disc: Final Posting: Blind Peer Review

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 2 03:02:21 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-415. Sun Feb 1 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.415, Disc: Final Posting: Blind Peer Review

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:29:49 -0500 (EST)
From:  Martha McGinnis <mcginnis at ucalgary.ca>
Subject:  Re: Blind Peer Review

2)
Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:54:39 +1300
From:  "Paul Chapin" <pchapin at ecsglobal.net>

3)
Date:  Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:01:59 +0400
From:  Ronald Sheen <rsheen at ausharjah.edu>
Subject:  Re: 15.355, Disc: Penultimate Posting: Blind Peer Review

Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:29:49 -0500 (EST)
From:  Martha McGinnis <mcginnis at ucalgary.ca>

Ronald Sheen asks what might be the possible consequences of someone
attaching their name to an honest review.

Given the reciprocal nature of peer review, success in an academic
career depends in part on having a harmonious (or at least neutral)
relationship with colleagues in the same field. In some cases, writing
an honest critical review of a fellow scholar's work could jeopardize
that relationship. This is a particular concern for junior scholars,
whose ability to get a job and/or tenure depends in part on the
goodwill of their colleagues. I think David Odden is right: without
the protection of anonymity, and faced with the decision of whether or
not to write an honest negative review, many potential reviewers would
very sensibly refuse to write a review at all.

Cheers,
Martha