15.544, Qs: Phonetics Term; Vocalic Processes Arabic

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 11 18:10:37 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-544. Wed Feb 11 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.544, Qs: Phonetics Term; Vocalic Processes Arabic

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steve Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:10:01 -0500 (EST)
From:  James Scobbie <jscobbie at qmuc.ac.uk>
Subject:  Phonetics term for "equi-strictural"

2)
Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:24:30 +0100
From:  "Melissa Barkat" <Melissa.Barkat at univ-lyon2.fr>
Subject:  References on vocalic processes in Arabic

Date:  Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:10:01 -0500 (EST)
From:  James Scobbie <jscobbie at qmuc.ac.uk>

Is there a generally accepted term for a sequence of like manner of
articulation, as ''homorganic'' means a sequence of like place?
''Diphthong'' is close but is limited to vowels.

For example, what term could be used to include tauto or
heterosyllabic sequences like [hs] [fx] [tk] [ao] [rl] [wj] [mn]?

I am uncertain whether nasal-oral stop sequences should be included or
excluded in this term. Similarly, central-lateral approximant
sequences. This is because manner is similar but not identical to
stricture.

I think it would be best to exclude geminates as a special case, as
they are a special case of homorganic sequences.

Please email with ideas.

Citations to literature preferable, or good neologisms, and I'll post replies.