15.562, Qs: English 'Go Ahead'; Persistence/Priming Effects

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 13 02:28:29 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-562. Thu Feb 12 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.562, Qs: English 'Go Ahead'; Persistence/Priming Effects

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:49:36 -0500 (EST)
From:  Emma Pavey <elp22 at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
Subject:  meaning/use of 'go ahead' in spoken English

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 04:56:21 -0500 (EST)
From:  Benedikt Szmrecsanyi <benedikt.szmrecsanyi at pluto.uni-freiburg.de>
Subject:  "syntactic priming": logarithmic decay?

Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:49:36 -0500 (EST)
From:  Emma Pavey <elp22 at cogs.susx.ac.uk>

Does anyone know of work on the meaning/use of 'go ahead',
particularly given the following two attested examples:

1) (Speaker at conference, at conclusion of paper): I'm going to go
ahead and stop there.

2) (Airline official at boarding gate): first class passengers are
welcome to board at their leisure; remaining passengers can go ahead
and stay seated for a few more minutes.

Please reply directly to me - I'll post a summary

Thanks,
Emma Pavey

Subject-Language: English; Code: ENG