15.625, Qs: Object Deletion; Lexicography Software

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 17 04:04:30 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-625. Mon Feb 16 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.625, Qs: Object Deletion; Lexicography Software

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:40:08 -0500 (EST)
From:  Hiroaki Tanaka <tanaka at kansaigaidai.ac.jp>
Subject:  Object deletion and "and"

2)
Date:  Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:00:20 -0500 (EST)
From:  Nobuko Koyama-Murakami <lingmana at hotmail.com>
Subject:  Lexicography software

Date:  Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:40:08 -0500 (EST)
From:  Hiroaki Tanaka <tanaka at kansaigaidai.ac.jp>

Dear all,

I'm wondering if the object deletion of ''eat'' is possible in the
following well-known phrases: ''You can' fish and not eat.''. My
research point is two-folds. One is that poeple sometimes can and
sometimes cannot find a specific and general obeject in the preceding
VP even if the VP doesn't contain the precise NP. The other is that
''and'' is interpreted not in ''underspecified'' way like Relevance
Theoretic account, but in some highly ''default'' and ''logical'' way.

(1)I'm wondering whether or not the object of ''eat'' in ''You can't
fish and not eat'' is deleted. If so, what does it refer to? I have
two interpretations from several native speakers of English. One is
(a): it refers to the specific obeject, the fish you caught, hidden in
the preceding VP. The other is (b): it refers to general eating
activity.

(a) It is not possible for you to catch fish and then not to eat the
fish you caught.  Or You take the trouble to go fishing and when you
catch some fish,if you don't eat them, it's a waste.

(b) If you're going to fish, you need to eat (a meal).  Or You can't
fish without eating(= having a meal).

Reading (b) is an intransitive use of ''eat'' just like ''drink
(alcohol)'' and ''read (books)'' without a specific object.

(2)Another problem in this construction is whether you can always
paraphrase ''and'' into ''if''.

(c) You can't commit a crime and not be punished.-->If you commit a
crime, you must be punished. (Approximately = You commit a crime and
then you will be punished.)

(d) You can't get good grades and not study-->If you (want to) get
good grades, you must study (hard). Or If you study (hard), you get
good grades. (Approximately = ? You get good grades and you study

Can ''if'' sentence in (d) be parapharable into ''and''? I think it
will be more appropirate to put ''so'' after ''and'' like ''You get
good grades and so(that means) you (must) study hard.'' But ''then''
can't be put into it; ''You get good grades and then you study hard.''

''And'' in (d) is a clear example of ''epistemic domain 'and''' in
E. Sweetser's(1990) sense. However she doesn't seem to think that the
order of ''A and B'' in the domain can be reversed in the prsent
construction ''You can't do A and not do B''.

Please don't hesitate to reply to these questions. I will post a
summary. Thank you very much in advance.

Best wishes,

Hiroaki Tanaka

Professor of English Linguistics, Kansai Gaidai University, Hirakata
City, Osaka, Japan

tanaka at kansaigaidai.ac.jp