15.634, FYI: MPhil Program at Free University Amsterdam

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 18 19:11:54 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-634. Wed Feb 18 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.634, FYI: MPhil Program at Free University Amsterdam

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Anne Clarke <anne at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:40:31 +0000
From:  "P.H.F. Bos" <phf.bos at let.vu.nl>
Subject:   MPhil Program in Linguistics at Free University Amsterdam

Date:  Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:40:31 +0000
From:  "P.H.F. Bos" <phf.bos at let.vu.nl>

The Free University Amsterdam started a two-year MPhil program in
Linguistics in September 2003. Students who would like to enroll for
this year should send in their applications before April 1, 2004!!

Candidates must have a BA in linguistics or in a related field.
Special features of our program are its focus on the integrated study
of the language system and language use, and its interdisciplinary
orientation. We don't just look at the various language modules
(phonology - syntax - semantics - pragmatics), but also at the
relations (interfaces) between them. Other strengths of the program
are in the cross-linguistic study of language typology, language
change, and second language acquisition. There is only one obligatory
course in the program. So you will share fundamental knowledge with
your fellow MPhil students, but, at the same time, you will be free to
choose courses that fit you own special interests.

The MPhil program is linked directly to the research group "the
Architecture of the Human Language Faculty". The researchers in this
group ( see
http://www.let.vu.nl/onderzoek/zwaartepunten/humanLanguageFaculty) are
the teachers in the MPhil program. The close connection between the
MPhil program and the research group creates a unique profile for the
MPhil program. The students will be working together with the
teachers/researchers to achieve a deeper understanding of the
constraints and forces that shape human language.

For more information and on guidelines for the application, please
have a look at http://www.let.vu.nl/master/linguistics