15.667, Qs: Vowel Changes; Vocative Case/DPs

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 23 01:19:24 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-667. Sun Feb 22 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.667, Qs: Vowel Changes; Vocative Case/DPs

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:08:23 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Hugues Steve N.-Koumba-Binza" <hugues_steve at yahoo.fr>
Subject:  Vowel change

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:44:45 +0800 (CST)
From:  "James T. Myers" <lngmyers at ccunix.ccu.edu.tw>
Subject:  vocative case and DPs

Date:  Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:08:23 -0500 (EST)
From:  "Hugues Steve N.-Koumba-Binza" <hugues_steve at yahoo.fr>

Dear Linguists,

I am working on Civili (Bantu, H12) vowel system. Previous authors
claimed a phenomenon of semivocalization or glide formation in words
such as (orthographically written) mwiifi ''thief'' or lyeesu
''eye''. But spectograms show a kind of sequencing of [ui] for the
first word and [ie] for the second. I wonder how to name such
phenomenon. I see it as a vowel change similar to diphtong, but shall
I name it as such? Please, any idea with references in other languages
let me know. Sincerely,

Steve

Subject-Language: Civili; Code: VIF
Language-Family:  Niger-Congo; Code: NC