15.32, Support: NLP: Research Assistant, U/Minnesota

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 13 04:23:14 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-32. Mon Jan 12 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.32, Support: NLP: Research Assistant, U/Minnesota

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:07:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  tpederse at d.umn.edu
Subject:  NLP: Research Assistant, MS Student, University of Minnesota

Date:  Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:07:31 -0500 (EST)
From:  tpederse at d.umn.edu

University or Organization: University of Minnesota, Duluth
Department: Department of Computer Science
Rank of Job: Research Assistant, MS Student
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Processing

RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP
NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING
UNIVERSITY of MINNESOTA, DULUTH
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

I am currently seeking a research assistant to work with me on corpus
based approaches to natural language processing. In particular, we
will focus on discovering word senses in very large corpora and from
the web.

You can get a very good introduction to the type of research you might
carry out by checking into some of the work done by my current and
previous students (http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse/students.html).

This position requires that you will have earned a Bachelor's degree
in Computer Science, and that you be admitted to the M.S. program in
Computer Science at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. Find out more
about the program and its admissions requirements at:

http://www.d.umn.edu/cs/degr/grad/mscs/

Interested candidates should submit their applications to the
M.S. program as soon as possible, certainly no later than March 1,
2004.

This position starts in August 2004 and extends until May 2005, and is
renewable for a second year (August 2005-May 2006). It provides a
stipend of approximately $11,000 (US) per academic year, and includes
a tuition waiver and health insurance. There is also the possibility
of summer employment in 2005 and 2006.

In your statement of educational and/or career objectives, please
clearly mention your interest in this position, and also detail (as
specifically as you can) why you feel both qualified and motivated to
carry out corpus based research in Natural Language Processing.

Send a copy of your statement to me via email (tpederse at d.umn.edu) as
soon as possible. (Please remember that you must also include a copy
of this in your application.)

Please feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

Cordially,
Ted Pedersen
http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse

Address for Applications: