15.90, Disc: Re: "Fun" as an adjective

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 15 04:08:53 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-90. Wed Jan 14 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.90, Disc: Re: "Fun" as an adjective

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:53:37 -0800
From:  Sikozu Johnson <sikozujohnson at cox.net>
Subject:  Re: 14.3580, Disc: "Fun" as Adjective

2)
Date:  Tue, 13 Jan 2004 06:24:19 -0500 (EST)
From:  Jonny Butler <jrcb100 at york.ac.uk>
Subject:  Re: 15.28 "Fun" as an adjective

Date:  Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:53:37 -0800
From:  Sikozu Johnson <sikozujohnson at cox.net>

Barbara Zurer Pearson <bpearson at comdis.umass.edu> noted, "Just after
reading that "key" cannnot be in predicate position (yet), someone
told me: "The bathroom was key" (as in after a long trip, one of the
pleasures of the destination was the restroom.) That's not the same as
seeing it in writing from an edited source, but it feels like a step
towards it."

Indeed, I have heard it a million times. I have used it that way as
well. "That is SOOOO key!" is (regrettably) not rare in my speech, at
least when speaking with my US-dwelling peers.

As with most speech patterns, it is common among the youthful-ish. I'm
28 and it is increasingly common the younger my co-chatter, but
bottoms out about 21. Younger than that and this pattern is old-fogey
speak: that's where the vocabulary gap lies.

- Anna