15.149, Jobs: Modified: Applied Ling: Researcher, Heriot-Watt

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 17 08:25:55 UTC 2004

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-149. Sat Jan 17 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 15.149, Jobs: Modified: Applied Ling: Researcher, Heriot-Watt

	Sheila Collberg, U. of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Sarah Murray <sarah at linguistlist.org>

standards of various countries.

Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:28:13 -0500 (EST)
From:  M.A.Sharwood_Smith <M.A.Sharwood_Smith at hw.ac.uk>
Subject:  Modified Re: 15.108: Applied Ling: Research Associate, Heriot-Watt U

Date:  Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:28:13 -0500 (EST)
From:  M.A.Sharwood_Smith <M.A.Sharwood_Smith at hw.ac.uk>

University or Organization: Heriot-Watt University
Department: Languages and Intercultural Studies
Rank of Job: Research Associate
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition

Research Associate

Salary: up to approximately 27,000 p.a. depending on age and
experience

Applications are invited for the above post, starting immediately or
as soon as possible and continuing up until June 2005 with the
possibility of a small extension.

ALLES (Advanced Long-Distance Language Education System) is an
up-and-running international project funded by the European
Commission. The main objective of the project is to devise an
autonomous, long-distance, second-language learning system for
advanced learners. To this end, the project aims at showing that such
a tool is really feasible, given the current state of the art of
linguistic technology, and that it is usable in real educational
contexts. This will be demonstrated with materials for learners of
English, German, Catalan and Spanish within a carefully specified
business context taking them from a predefined level of proficiency up
to the next predefined level without any teacher intervention.

You will work in a small team helping to produce and test learning
units for learners of Business English, as also accompanying
supplementary tools. We are looking for a demonstrably experienced,
IT-literate English language materials developer with a suitable
postgraduate qualification in applied linguistics. Familiarity with
the creation of web pages would be a distinct advantage. Computer
programming ability is not required.

Informal enquiries may be made to Prof Mike Sharwood Smith at
M.A.Sharwood_Smith at hw.ac.uk. Further particulars on ALLES may be found
at http://alles.sema.es/

Overseas applicants may send a CV with the names and addresses of
three referees. Candidates that have been shortlisted will be informed
by the end of Febrary.

Address for Applications:

	Attn: Professor Mike Sharwood Smith
	Henry Prais Building